Customer engagement is a full-throttle race to the finish. Is your energy utility equipped with the right tools for success?
The Questline Digital team has spent countless hours analyzing digital marketing metrics and creating actionable insights from the nearly 400 million emails we sent to energy utility customers in 2019. This year-long process — involving collaboration from our experts in analytics, marketing and digital strategy — is driven by our mission to help energy utilities improve long-term customer satisfaction.
Rev up customer engagement with digital marketing metrics
Working with hundreds of energy utilities across the country, we understand that customer engagement is an ever-present challenge. Our latest benchmarks report features valuable performance metrics and insights on energy utility engagement strategies, including welcome series, outage communications, content marketing, audience segmentation, A/B testing and other best practices.
What we found in this year’s data:
- Highest open rate ever: Questline Digital marked the highest open rate compared to all previous benchmarks reports. This open rate was achieved during a year of relatively low storm/outage activity. In 2019, Questline Digital sent nearly half the number of storm emails as the previous year.
- Business audience boom: The small and medium-sized business audience experienced the highest boost in performance year-over-year with an 11% increase in open rate and a 62% increase in CTR. Key accounts engagement (CTR) was also up 48% year-over-year.
- Welcome Series works: When it comes to touchpoints between an energy utility and its customers, few are as important as the initial welcome message. With year-over-year growth in engagement paired with ease of implementation, Welcome Series is an essential tool to build connections with your customers.
- Go beyond email: While email remains a popular and effective channel for energy utilities, successful customer engagement doesn’t stop there. Your content marketing efforts should include a multichannel approach, including social media, web, mobile and even the age-old medium of print.
- Segment your audience: According to our data, energy utilities have less than 8 seconds to capture the attention of their customers. An effective content marketing strategy includes segmented messages that speak to your customers’ specific needs or interests. For example, segment business customers by their industry or residential customers by dwelling type.