More of the same, but different. It’s a tried-and-true formula in Hollywood, where sequels, trilogies and sagas rule the box office. Viewers just can’t resist watching the new adventures of characters they already know and love.
Presenting content as part of an ongoing series is an effective way for energy utilities to increase customer engagement as well. By returning to the same style or format, a content series creates familiarity and reinforces consistent messaging over time. In the case of videos, featuring the same on-screen talent, visual look and series title has been shown in Questline performance metrics to increase engagement and promote subsequent viewings.
Leveraging this familiarity helps cement awareness of your energy utility and its programs. For maximum impact, use the series name in the title, such as “5 Ways to Save,” “TechMinute” and “You Can.” These titles not only identify a video as part of a series, but also connect the themes of the series to the specific topics of individual videos.
Let’s take a closer look at viewer engagement for three popular Questline video series.
“TechMinute” videos cover the impact and potential of new products or innovative technologies in the energy space. Typically deployed to a small business audience, “TechMinute” videos have been featured in 308 eNewsletters from February 2019 to May 2020.
- Customers who watch “TechMinute” videos have watched an average of four videos in the series.
- 23% of customers have seen every “TechMinute” video offered since February 2019.
- 37% of customers who have watched one “TechMinute” video have also watched subsequent “TechMinute” videos.
5 Ways to Save
“5 Ways to Save” videos provide energy utility customers with quick tips for saving energy and money. Each video features a different topic, like saving energy while on vacation or working in the yard, in a list format. Since September 2018, 18 “5 Ways to Save” videos have been featured in over 1,000 eNewsletters. In addition, more than 84,000 newsletter subscribers have seen at least one “5 Ways to Save” video.
- Customers who watch ”5 Ways to Save” videos have watched an average of three videos in the series.
- 42% of customers who have watched one “5 Ways to Save” video have also watched subsequent videos in the series.
- 18% of customers have seen every “5 Ways to Save” video sent to them.
“You Can” videos are hands-on tutorials showing viewers how to perform energy-saving DIY projects around the house or business, such as how to air-seal a basement or install a smart thermostat. Questline’s “You Can” videos have been featured in 363 eNewsletters. More than 120,000 unique subscribers have seen at least one video.
- Customers who watch “You Can” videos have watched an average of three videos in the series.
- 26% of customers who have viewed one “You Can” video have watched multiple videos from the series.
- 14% of customers have seen every “You Can” video sent to them.
Questline’s Engage catalog features a wide variety of video series designed to support your utility’s content strategy and build engagement with business and residential customers. Not using Engage Content? Reach out to email@example.com to get started.